If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Moraea MM 17-11

Seed parent: MM 13-65 (M. tulbaghensis X (villosa x tulbaghensis))
Pollen parent: Unknown

I'm very unsure of the parentage of this plant. Not only was the label for the pollen parent unreadable, but I don't have any photos of the seed parent, and I usually take photos of everything I cross. So who knows what went into this cross, but one of the results was intriguing.,,

MM 17-11a. Can you spot what's unusual about this flower? I'll give you a hint: what's important is what you don't see. There are virtually no black markings anywhere on this flower. That's very unusual for Moraeas. There's maybe a tiny bit of dark speckling where the eye should be, and in the closeup below you can see a very small dark mark at the base of the tepal. Other than that, it's all just shades of yellow and orange.



The photos above are a little bit too orange-tinted. This one is closer to the actual color of the flower.

MM 17-11b. There's definitely some M. tulbaghensis in these plants; the color and small cupped flowers are very typical for it.

M 17-11c



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.