If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Sunday, August 23, 2020

New Gladiolus hybrids, 2020

The blooming season for South African Gladiolus is much longer than for Moraea species. The Moraeas that I focus on mostly bloom February to April in California, but some of the winter-growing glads start in the early fall, and others extend to about March. That means I generally have Glads to play with while I am waiting for the Moraeas to get started. 

I’ve been extremely pleased with some of the recent Glad hybrids. Some have an incredible variety of dots and lines on them, while others have lovely pastel colors that remind me of Azaleas and Alstroemeria. Here are my favorites from this year. 

MM 15-36b. Click the link to see its siblings; they are beautiful as well.

MM 15-38c. I imagine that if you hit a blueberry with a hammer the resulting splotch would look like this.

MM 15-83g. This one has nice siblings too. 

MM 16-52a. A gorgeous shade of red, and I really like the veins and the dark streaks on the lower tepals. Check out the siblings to this one as well

MM 17-29c. Another exercise in extreme stripes and dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.