If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Moraea MM 17-118

Seed parent: MM 13-137c (M. tripetala X calcicola)
Pollen parent: Unknown (open pollinated)

Since I grow these plants in screenhouses, it's difficult to tell what happened when a seedpod shows up that I didn't pollinate. Did the flower self-pollinate (unusual in most of my Moraeas)? Did an insect sneak in and pollinate the flower? Or did I make a cross that I forgot to label?

It's hard to say in this case, but the flowers are very interesting.

MM 17-118a. I really like the look of this flower. The double ring around the yellow eye is very distinct, and I like the contrast between the very dark purple ring and the pale purple tepals.

MM 17-118b

MM 17-118c


MM 17-118d. You can't see it in this photo, but this hybrid has four inflorescences on a single stem. The usual Peacock relative has one, two, or rarely three. So I made a lot of crosses with this plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.