If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Moraea Wish List

I am trying to collect as many species as possible from subspecies Vieusseuxia, because it includes the Peacock Moraeas (the most colorful in the genus) and because most of the Vieusseuxias I've tried can interbreed. So I want to both preserve these plants in cultivation and see how they combine together.

I haven't been able to find sources for the species below. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'm happy to trade or pay for seeds or even just pollen.

Moraea algoensis
Moraea amabilis
Moraea amissa
Moraea barkerae
Moraea barnardii
Moraea caeca
Moraea cantharophila
Moraea cuspidata
Moraea debilis
Moraea deltoidea
Moraea gigandra (orange, white forms)
Moraea grandis
Moraea hainebachiana
Moraea helmei
Moraea incurva
Moraea insolens (orange, white forms)
Moraea lilacina
Moraea lurida (any color other than the typical maroon/yellow form)
Moraea longiaristata
Moraea mutila
Moraea ogamana
Moraea petricola
Moraea regalis
Moraea rivulicola
Moraea tulbaghensis (white, red forms)
Moraea villosa ssp elandsmontana
Moraea worcesterensis

I am especially interested in the brick red form of M. tulbaghensis, which originates from the Elandsberg Nature Reserve at Bartholomeus Klip. Unfortunately, the owners don't supply seeds (I think they're too busy), but I keep hearing rumors that the flowers are in private cultivation somewhere. I'd like to get them in general circulation so they're more protected from accidental loss, and to be honest I'd really just like to grow them because they're extremely beautiful.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    B&T lists both M. amabilis and M. incurva: http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/

    greets,

    Martin/Garak

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/

    list a lot of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.
    Try Lifestyle seeds.
    Moraea debilis and Moraea amabilis.
    Cheers.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Martin and Craig! I now have those species. Still looking for the others above.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered crossing any moraeas with Moraea iridioides? It supposedly blooms pretty much year round, which would be a great quality to pass on to hybrids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Dante.

    Great suggestion! I have tried that cross several times, with no luck at all. The plant they call Moraea iridioides is actually a member of a related genus called Dietes. It's apparently not close enough genetically to Moraea to make a cross. It's a shame; I agree with you that it'd be great to get Moraea colors on those robust long-blooming Dietes plants...

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.