If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Moraea MM 15-120

Seed parent: Moraea atropunctata
Pollen parent: Moraea neopavonia 'Summerfield'

I haven't assigned this one a letter yet. The parents are creamy flower with very dark spots on it. and a very bright orange one. I seem to have ended up with the worst of both worlds: a pale pastel flower with no spots on it. There are some things I really do like about this plant, though. There's a nice symmetrical look to its central speckles, I like that the inner tepals (the small petals) are darker orange than the outer tepals, and the color contrast between the upper and lower surfaces of the tepals is very interesting.

I hope that with additional breeding, this cross will lead to some fascinating flowers. The good news is that it's a vigorous plant and looks to be very fertile.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.