If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Moraea MM 16-89

Seed parent: MM 12-119a (M. atropunctata x calcicola) X bellendenii
Pollen parent: MM 12-122b (villosa X tulbaghensis)

I think the plants are telling me something here, but I am not sure what it is.

The pollen parent is a very bland looking hybrid that has few markings on the flowers, but is incredibly floriferous: it produces many stems and many flowers per stem. The pollen parent is a nice rich orange flower with overtones of purple. Put them together, and I was hoping to get some long-blooming orange or purple flowers.

Instead, I get a white flower with a lovely double-ring where the eye should be. I've seen that pattern before, in crosses between M. villosa and M. bellendenii (link). This time the parentage was much more complicated, but the result was the same.

What does that tell me?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.