If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Moraea MM 18-143

Seed parent: Moraea debilis
Pollen parent: Moraea neopavonia 'Summerfield'

Excellent, another first-time species cross! This one behaved exactly as I would have expected. The flowers are on the small side, like the seed parent. And the bright orange of M. neopavonia has mellowed into a peachy orange, which is what very often happens when you cross purple and orange Moraea flowers.

MM 18-143a. I like the orange and blue pattern in the center of these flowers.



Here's a sibling:




2 comments:

  1. Brilliant to see these debilis hybrids _ I guess the flowers are quite big?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, Paul. They're actually pretty small. M. debilis is a very tiny flower, and the first generation hybrids made with it are generally 1/3 to 2/3 the size of my other hybrids. The photos above accidentally made it look larger than that because my hand in the background is far down the stem. This particular flower is about 2/3 the size of my typical hybrids. --Mike

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.