If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Moraea debilis

These cute little flowers are easy to grow here in San Jose, CA. They're summer-dormant, blooming in late spring when most of the other Moraea species are finished. The plants are under a foot tall (1/3m) and the flowers are not much bigger than the tip of my little finger.

I'm finding that it's best to propagate these bulbs from seed every few years. The bulbs don't seem to be long-lived in my garden.

I have tried to make hybrids with them, but the anthers are so small that they're very hard to remove, and the plants self-pollinate, so it's hard to know if a cross has been successful.

Update: My first successful bybrids with M. debilis bloomed in 2021. For highlights, read the post here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.