If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Moraea MM 18-234

Seed parent: MM 13-139a (M. bellendenii X (gigandra x (atropunctata x neopavonia)))
Pollen parent: MM 13-77b (villosa x tulbaghensis) X sibling

Another cross in diligent pursuit of red. The seed parent is an orange flower that was the result of crossing a yellow flower with a violet one. So it has a complex genetic background. The pollen parent is one of my hybrids that comes closest to red. Put them together and you get flowers that are pretty close to red. In person they're a little more mauvey/brick colored than the photos, so this is not the vibrant red I am looking for. But I feel like it's progress.

MM 18-234a. I made 20 follow-on crosses with this flower. Keep your fingers crossed, and check back in three or four years...



MM 18-234b. I like the yellow central cup in this flower.

MM 18-234c

MM 18-234d

MM 18-234e


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.