If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Moraea MM 18-322

Seed parent: MM 13-171a (M. tripetala X villosa h)
Pollen parent: MM 13-10a (aristata x villosa) X neopavonia 'Sunrise'

Not the most spectacular flower, but each one lasted for more than a week (compared to 3-4 days for a typical Moraea). So I made a lot of crosses with it.

As for the colors, this is one of those flowers that I have trouble understanding. The seed parent is a very petty hybrid with streaky violet tepals and a deep green eye. The pollen parent is light yellow-orange with a darker orange blaze in the center. I don't know how you get white from that combination, but what the heck.

MM 18-322a


This plant is notably vigorous. It's taller, has bigger flowers, and a higher bud count than most other Moraea hybrids. I'm using it heavily in breeding as of 2023. This photo gives you an idea of how big it is:

Here's a sibling:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.