If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Moraea MM 19-86

Seed parent: MM 13-69 (M. tulbaghensis X villosa form h)
Pollen parent: MM 13-77b (villosa X tulbaghensis)

MM 19-86a. The color is kind of nice in this one, but it's fairly small and cup-shaped.

MM 19-86b. Well, it's about time. After more than a decade of breeding these flowers, this is the first one I've bred that to me looks like it's truly red. Not brick red, not deep orange, not mauve, just plain red. I've been trying to get to this point for a long time.

There's still more I want to do with this flower -- it's too small, I'd like the eye to be even brighter, and I'd like the color to be a bit more scarlet. But in the meantime, this feels like a milestone.


Here's a sibling...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.