If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Moraea MM 21-156

Seed parent: MM 18-344b (M. villosa selection) X ((aristata x villosa) x neopavonia)
Pollen parent: MM 18-322a (tripetala x villosa h) X ((aristata x villosa) x neopavonia)

Very interesting. The seed parent is a cream-colored flower with concentric bands of color in the center. The pollen parent is white with a mostly orange center, and it's also one of the tallest and most vigorous hybrids I have, with lots of buds and flowers that are unusually long-lasting. I have been making dozens of crosses with it, just to inject that vigor into the mix. 

With this particular cross, I was hoping for a very floriferous plant with rainbow colors in the middle. I didn't quite get that. But these flowers are elegant looking, which is nice. And although the plant didn't make a lot of buds, its individual flowers lasted for about a week each, quite a bit longer than the usual 3-4 days. That's why you see two flowers together in the last photo -- the second one opened while the first one was still in bloom. That's unusual for this subgenus of Moraea.

MM 21-156a








No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.