If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Moraea MM 20-117

Seed parent: MM 16-40a (M. gigandra X neopavonia)
Pollen parent: MM 15-45 (M. 'Zoe' X neopavonia)

This is one of my favorite new hybrids of 2024. In shape and markings it looks a lot like Moraea gigandra, but it's bright yellow instead of purple. That's exciting to me for a couple of reasons:
  • First, I really like the blue and yellow color combination. 
  • Second, this cross is intriguing to me genetically because both parents are pale orange flowers that resulted from crosses between purple and deep orange parents. In the past I've gotten the sense that repeated crosses of purple X orange hybrids could produce yellow, but this is one of the clearest examples of it in action. I wonder what it is about that genetic combination that makes yellow. The chemistry of flower pigments is pretty subtle, and although I've tried to read up on it, I don't really know what's going on. If anyone has thoughts on it, I'd love to hear from you.
Unfortunately, as happens in many of these yellow Moraea hybrids, the yellow color doesn't last; in a couple of days it fades to cream. I have crossed this plant with some yellow hybrids and species to see if I can stabilize the color.

MM 20-117a. First day.


Second day.

Third day






No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.