If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Moraea MM 13-149

Seed parent: MM 10-16b (M. atropunctata? x neopavonia) X gigandra  

Pollen parent: MM 10-02b (M. villosa X tulbaghensis)













MM 10-02b is one of my all-time favorite hybrids, just for the complexity of the markings and colors in it. I was pleased to see some of that complexity show up in these flowers.

MM 13-149a. Nice colors. It's interesting to see the M. villosa pattern in a flower that's only a quarter villosa. These two photos show how difficult it is to capture the exact color of a flower. One photo was in full bright sunlight, the other in shade. The "real" color is somewhere between these two photos.


MM 13-149b. Interesting. The feeble eye is a disappointment, but I like the dark orange blaze in the center of the flower.


MM 13-149c. I think of this one as 'purple smoke.' You get some of the smoky mixed coloration from 10-02b, but in this case it's purple rather than orange. This isn't the most beautiful flower ever, but I feel like it's on the road to someplace special. This particular specimen had faded in the sun.

Here's what it looks like before fading.

A great shot by Garry Knipe:


MM 13-149d. Check out those crazy dots in the central cup and around the eyes.

MM 13-149e


MM 13-149f


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.