If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Moraea MM 10-02

Seed parent: Moraea villosa
Pollen parent: Moraea tulbaghensis with green eye

The results from this one were very interesting. I love the vibrant color schemes, but the flowers are a bit small.

MM 10-02A is a vibrant orange flower with a blue eye. I like the contrast with the white style arms.

MM 10-02B is weird but significant. Seen from a distance, it looks mustard-colored. Up close, it has very interesting details, including an area near the green eye that looks red. This is the first time I've done an orange x purple cross where the colors actually mixed instead of the orange dominating.

MM 10-02C is the most spectacular offspring of this cross so far. The flower has a nice bright blue eye, and the tepals are covered in speckled dots that seem to be tracing the veins. I’ve seen occasional photos of wild Moraeas with this sort of color pattern, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it in person.

Needless to say, I made a lot of crosses with this one, especially with other flowers that have spots or veins on them.



MM 10-02D. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a very good photo of this one. (This photo makes it look yellower than it really is.) In person it looks like a lighter-colored version of MM 10-02b.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.