If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Moraea MM 12-13

Seed parent: Moraea loubseri
Pollen parent: Moraea atropunctata














This one was fun! I think I was expecting a pale flower with purple spots, which is what happened when I crossed M. calcicola and atropunctata (MM 03-98).

Instead, I got these vivid purple flowers with no spots, but an orange center and a lot of hairs. These flowers bloomed a bit early in the Moraea season (March 11 here in San Jose, CA). 

MM 12-13a.

MM 12-13b






MM 12-13c. Very similar to form b, but there are subtle differences in the inner tepals and center color pattern.

MM 12-13d. This flower bloomed for the first time in March 2020, eight years after the original cross was made. Most Moraea hybrids bloom for the first time at age three or four, so this one is a late arrival -- and it has a very interesting color pattern. I will be crossing this one with some speckled flowers to see what happens.


The flower below showed up in 2019. It's in a spot marked "MM 12-13," but it looks so different that I think it may actually be a chance seedling that dropped in this location.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.