If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Moraea atropunctata

This isn't technically grouped as one of the "peacock" Moraeas, I guess because it doesn't have bright colors. But I think it is a beautiful flower, and crosses with the Peacocks readily.

The tepals are just slightly cream colored, with heavy brown-orange spotting on the back. The center of the flower is black and hairy, with just a hint of orange to it. Around the center are some dark brown freckles. The number and density of freckles varies from plant to plant.

These plants are somewhat finicky in my garden, sulking if they don't get enough drainage. They also don't seem to make many offsets for me, so I am trying to make a point of propagating them by seed on a regular basis. They are quite rare in nature, so if you're growing them please take good care of them.


Here's a side view. Note the fleshy color of the central crests.

Here's a flower as it is just opening. You can see the orange-brown spots on the backs of the tepals.

I call this one form a

I call this one form c

The form below has more spots, some of them purple. I wondered if it might be an accidental hybrid, but then I found this photo of a plant in the wild on the iNaturalist service, and it has somewhat similar colors. So there's more variation in the species than you usually see in captivity. (This one has yellow pollen, by the way. The ones above have orange pollen.)

One unusual thing I've noticed about these plants is that when the flowers are damp (for example, from rainfall or overnight dew), the flowers turn brown. But when they dry out again they're white.

Here's a damp flower:

And here it is after it dried out:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.