If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Moraea MM 12-104

 Seed parent: Moraea gigandra

Pollen parent: Moraea atropunctata













I don't know what to make of this hybrid. I was hoping for something outrageous – maybe a huge gigandra-style flower with purple spots on it. Instead you can see only subtle hints of each parent. The dark cup and narrow eye are from gigandra, while I think the slight speckling outside the eye may be from atropunctata. To me, the most intriguing thing about the flower is the pale purple and pink coloring in the tepals. You don't see a lot of pink Moraea flowers, and I wonder if I could develop that color more in future hybrids.

MM 12-104a.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.