If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Moraea MM 16-77

Seed parent: MM 12-144b (M. gigandra X neopavonia)
Pollen parent: MM 12-122b (M. villosa X tulbaghensis)

Dang, this is another cross where you think, "wow, with parents like these the offspring will be great for sure." And then the offspring are kind of underwhelming. In this case, I've crossed two purple x orange hybrids, expecting to get a lot of interesting color blends. There are some pinkish overtones to a couple of the flowers, which I like, but mostly they're kind of bland.

If you assume that orange coloring is generally dominant over purple (which seems to be the usual case), then maybe I need to grow a lot more of these seeds so the recessive purple genes will have a chance to show up.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.