If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Moraea MM 13-12

Seed parent: MM 10-16b ((M. atropunctata? x neopavonia) X gigandra)
Pollen parent: Moraea calcicola














I've had some good luck lately crossing hybrids with species Moraeas. Crossing hybrids with hybrids is very hit or miss – generally speaking, the more complex the hybrids, the less likely they are to set seeds. But hybrids crossed with species seem to set seeds more easily, and often produce an interesting variety of colors. Case in point: this cross, which produced some rich colors and some interesting pastels.

MM 13-12a. These two photos show you what a difference lighting conditions can make to a flower photo. The "real" appearance of the flower is somewhere between these two photos. I like the contrast between the snow white inner ring, the black band outside it, and he dark purple outer ring.


MM 13-12b. Very dark central cup, with an orange area around it, and then pale purple on the tepals fading outward to a cream color. Kind of reminds me of the garden pansies my mom grew when I was a kid.


MM 13-12c. Even less orange in the middle, but still the purple wash on the tepals that fades to cream.


MM 13-12d. Although this flower is only a quarter gigandra, it looks very reminiscent of that species.

MM 13-12e

Here's another seedling that I haven't assigned a letter to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.