If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Moraea MM 12-09

Seed parent: Moraea gigandra
Pollen parent: MM 09-04a (M. atropunctata? X M. neopavonia) X (M. atropunctata? X M. neopavonia)











When I got the vivid yellow seed parent in 2009, I crossed it on a lot of other flowers to see what would happen. In this case, I ended up with some gigandra-shaped flowers with varying mixes of purple and yellow.

MM 12-09a. This one is very pale. Note the slight pale purple shading in the middle of the tepal. (I underexposed the photo so you could see the purple. Otherwise it photographs as dirty white.)

MM 12-09b. This one has more purple and more yellow in it. The result is a color that I can't easily describe. Yurple? Pyellow? It's also very hard to photograph accurately. I can't really call it beautiful, but it is very interesting.



MM 12-09c. Similar to form A, but the blue eye spot is a different shape and the dark spots in the central cup are arranged in bands.

This one, which bloomed in 2018, was labeled 12-09a, but it's obviously a sibling. I like the clear yellow color in the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.