If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Moraea MM 09-04

Seed parent: Moraea MM 99-00
Pollen parent: Moraea MM 99-00

This is my first successful hybrid between two siblings of the same cross; I think the breeding professionals call that an F2 hybrid. These crosses are important because they let recessive genes peek through, and that's definitely what happened here. I've gotten blooms from three offspring of this cross so far, and others are on the way in 2013.

MM 09-04a was a delightful surprise: a brilliant lemon yellow color, something not found in any of its grandparents. Its main flaw is that the flowers are small, but it's vigorous and very fertile, so I was able to make a lot of crosses from it (it's 4 of 6 as a seed parent and an amazing 17 of 21 as a pollen parent). I hope to combine that color with bigger flowers and other patterns.


MM 09-04b looks very much like its parents.


MM 09-04c looks a lot like M. neopavonia, one of the grandparents of this cross. This specimen is a misshapen flower that was also battered by hail. It made only one flower in the first year of bloom; I'll be interested to see if all of its flowers have four tepals in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.