If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Moraea MM 99-00

Seed parent: Moraea atropunctata?
Pollen parent: Moraea neopavonia?

This cross was a survivor of one of my first breeding experiments. I was not yet keeping written records at the time, and at some point the tag broke. So I am not sure of the parents. The remaining part of the tag seems to say that Moraea atropunctata was one of the parents, and it's very obvious that Moraea neopavonia was also involved. So I have labeled it that way, but with a question mark because this flower doesn't show the freckles or other characteristics I'd expect from M. atropunctata.

I've repeated this cross, so hopefully at some point I'll know for sure what the parents were.

This cross is vigorous and blooms well. It produces a lot of pollen, and is a good seed and pollen parent.

There are three slight variations:

MM 99-00a has a very dark central beard:

MM 99-00b has a lighter beard. It looks a lot like M. neopavonia:

MM 99-00c looks a lot like form b, but is a bit paler and has some subtle purple-mauve streaks in the tepals:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.