If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Moraea MM 13-195

Seed parent: Moraea lurida  

Pollen parent: MM 09-02a (aristata X villosa)










What a pleasant surprise! I spent years trying to make hybrids with M. lurida, without success – they always turned out to be self-pollinated. In 2013 I made a last effort, carefully emasculating the flowers and protecting them from pollination. When they set seeds, I assumed the flowers had somehow self-pollinated anyway. And some of them had. But then this flower opened... 

MM 13-195a. How interesting. The cup is rusty orange with some dark speckles toward the base. The hairs in it are very short. The inner tepals are almost solid maroon, which comes from M. lurida. The eyes are probably the strangest part – they are yellow, heavily outlined in black. And just to top things off, there are dark veins on the tepals. I can't wait to see how the second generation hybrids will look. You get daytime and night-time photos here.


MM 13-195b. The cup is yellow in this one, with some maroon veins.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.