If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Moraea MM 13-10

Seed parent: MM 09-02c (aristata X villosa)

Pollen parent: Moraea neopavonia "sunrise" form













I received a wide variety of M. neopavonia plants from Moraea king Bob Werra. One of them had a very distinctive sunburst pattern on the tepals: dark orange in the center and lighter orange on the tips. I called the color pattern "sunrise." I wasn't sure if the color was genetic or the result of a disease or injury, but I bred the plant with a number of other flowers. I'm glad I did, because the original corm died out after a couple of years. Its progeny show the sunrise pattern was no accident, as you can see it very vividly in this hybrid. It also shows up in some other crosses.

MM 13-10a. You can see this plant in a couple of different lighting conditions. The flowers are even more striking in person than they appear in these photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.