If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Moraea MM 12-193

Seed parent: Moraea lurida 

Pollen parent: Moraea villosa form F













Wow. I have been trying to make hybrids with M. lurida for years, and this is the first time I've succeeded. There's so much weird stuff going on here. The eye has a dark maroon ring around it, and it's yellow or orange rather than blue or green. The inner tepals are mostly maroon, like M. lurida, and the central cup has very short hairs, a lurida characteristic. And, like M. lurida, these flowers attract flies. Check out these other successful M. lurida crosses: MM 12-194, MM 13-195, MM 13-197. I can't wait to see the second-generation flowers from these plants.

MM 12-193a. The cup has no spots in it, and they eye is yellow.


MM 12-193b. The eye is orange, and the cup has a line of dark spots in it.



MM 12-193c. This flower was not in good condition when I first photographed it.

Here's how it looks on a better day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.