If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Moraea MM 13-81

Seed parent: MM 09-02c (aristata X villosa)
Pollen parent: Moraea atropunctata

The parents:

The seed parent is a vigorous villosa-like flower that doesn't fade in the sun. In this cross I was hoping to mix that vigor with the spots of M. atropunctata. Although the hybrids have a few spots, they mostly look like M. villosa with a dark center, with one exceptional surprise that you'll see below. (The flowers below, are all from this cross, were grown by Garry Knipe under the label GK 1329.)

GK 1329


GK 1329_1. Similar to the flower above, but with a few spots.


GK 1329_3. Wow. This flower is just spectacular. I have no idea where this color scheme and the unusual double line around the eye came from.

Garry gave me an offset of that corm, and I've been trying to use it in crosses. So for nothing has worked, so I am also repeating the original cross.




Here are some seedlings from that cross that I grew:

MM 13-81a. I'm not sure about this cross – it doesn't appear to have any M. atropunctata characteristics at all. I do like the thick yellow band around the eye, though.


MM 13-81b

MM 13-81c


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.