If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Moraea MM 11-56

Seed parent: MM 99-00a (atropunctata neopavonia)
Pollen parent: MM 03-98a (atropunctata calcicola)

The seed parent is medium orange with a dark center, while the pollen parent is pale purple with dark purple spots on the tepals. I've made a number of crosses between these plants, hoping for orange flowers with purple spots. but usually what I get is pale cream-colored flowers with mottled markings in the center, as you'll see below. The markings are undistinguished, which is a surprise because the hybrid is half atropunctata. You’d think it would have a bunch of spots on it.

MM 11-56a. Note how wide the tepals are here compared to the next two flowers.

MM 11-56b. This is my favorite of the three. I like the long inner tepals, twisted like wrought iron swords.

MM 11-56c. Similar to its siblings; the flower looks more white because this photo was taken at night in artificial light.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.