If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Gladiolus aureus

This species reportedly grows in only a single spot near Cape Town, and is classified as extremely endangered. I received seed from Kirstenbosch back when they still shared seed. Unfortunately, only a single clone survived from the ones I grew, and it's not self-fertile (and is very slow to make offsets). I was resigned to eventually losing it, but Ernie DeMarie shared seeds from his three plants, and now I have a viable little colony that produces fresh seed every year.

It's a pretty little flower, and hybridizes nicely with other species.



2 comments:

  1. Does the yellow come though to other generations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The hybrids of it that I've grown so far are pale yellow.

      Mike

      Delete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.