If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Moraea MM 12-67

Seed parent: Moraea villosa form B
Pollen parent: Moraea villosa form D

The parents:

I made this cross, but none of the seeds I planted grew successfully. Luckily, I gave some seeds to Iris breeder Garry Knipe, and he planted many more of them than I did. I am so glad he did that, because they've produced a beautiful variety of Moraea villosa color forms, some of them with tepals so wide that they overlap (a characteristic of villosa B). Some of these photos were taken under a tarp in the middle of a rainstorm, and I did not do a good job of focusing. But it was a lot better than photographing in the rain. Thanks for putting up the tarp, Garry!

The properly-focused photos were provided by Garry.

I liked these plants so much that I went back and planted my remaining seeds from this cross. They're growing this time.

GK 1210. Check out those big wide tepals, the light blue eye, and the green eyelash around it..

GK 1210_1. Wow, where did that pale orange color come from?

GK 1210_6 in two views.


GK 1210_7. A pale yellow flower that fades to white. There are interesting speckles on the flower.



GK 1210_8.

GK 1210_9. Wide tepals, a huge two-tone eye, and very nice coloring around the eyes.

GK 1210_9 and 1210_10.

GK 1210_11.

GK 1210_12.

GK 1210_13.

GK 1210_15.

GK 1210_16.

GK 1210_18. Unusual narrow blue eyes on this one.

GK 1210_21b. The tepals are not as wide as some of its siblings, but I like the intense yellow ring around the eye.

GK 1210. This one has the yellow ring, and the tepals are very pale cream-yellow as well (they look white in the photo, but trust me).

Here are some I raised:

MM 12-67a

MM 12-67b

MM 12-67c

MM 12-67d

MM 12-67e

MM 12-67f


MM 12-67g. The camera made this one look a bit more vivid than it is in real life, but it's still a very nice flower. Where the orange and purple overlap, they make a passable shade of red. I'd like to breed a whole flower like that...

MM 12-67h. Unfortunately, I used the same letter for two slightly different flowers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.