If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Moraea MM 11-15

Seed parent: Moraea villosa b
Pollen parent: Moraea MM 03-99 (neopavonia X villosa)

The seed parent has pale purple tepals and a big blue eye, while the pollen parent is light orange with a black eye. Combining them gave me several flowers that look like Moraea villosa b, and two that are quite different. The blue eye shows up in every cross, which is nice since I like it better than the black eye.

MM 11-15a. This one is a lot like M. villosa b, but has a stronger yellow ring around the eye.

MM 11-15b. Paler tepals and no yellow ring. In fact, there is no ring around the eye at all, which is very unusual.

When viewed head-on, the eyes in this flower are amazingly big.


MM 11-15c. I really like the vivid colors in this one. It looks to me as if we have purple tepals overlaid on a very large yellow area in the middle. Where the yellow and purple mix the flower has a reddish-mauve color.



MM 11-15d. Pale tepals and a bright yellow ring. This one is kind of eye-catching.


MM 11-15e. Similar to its sibling above, but lighter in color (and also beloved by aphids). Unfortunately, this and several other hybrids I raised this year were floppy and half-wilted when they opened. I do not know if the problem was with the plants, or the soil, or both. That's why you see my fingers on the photo; I had to support the flower so you could see it fully.


MM 11-15f. Just to round out the selection, this flower is bright orange with a blue eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.