If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Moraea MM 10-03

Seed parent: Moraea gigandra
Pollen parent: Moraea MM 99-00 (atropunctata x neopavonia?)

As I've found in other cases, mixing an orange flower and a purple usually (but not always) produces a pale orange one. So the color in most of these plants does not resemble M. gigandra, but other characteristics show up.

The flowers have a moderate amount of pollen and may be fertile.

Compare these flowers to the flowers from the reciprocal cross, MM 10-16.

MM 10-03a is most notable for the distinct yellow ring around the center of the flower:

MM 10-03b has a small blue eye, reminiscent of M. gigandra:


MM 10-03c has a bluish dot where the eye would normally be:

MM 10-03d. Holy toledo, what's going on here? Flower breeders have all sorts of words for flowers that are almost but not quite red: burgundy, plum, old rose, etc. I think this one is plum-colored. Whatever word we use, it's interesting to me not just because of the color, but because there's nice contrast with the blue eye and orange center. This flower looks pretty promising to me.

MM 10-03e. This one is pale orange with no hint of yellow. I like the intricate dot pattern in the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.