If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Moraea tripetala

This is a cute and easy to grow species, related to the Peacock Moraeas, and able to interbreed with them.  It responds well to typical winter-growing Moraea culture.

In 2012, this species was divided into nine separate species, based on differences in flower shape, corms, and other details. I haven't yet been able to sort my M. tripetala plants into the new species, but I suspect that I'm growing at least two species.

Here are the varieties that grow in my garden.  The first form is relatively large (about a foot tall, or .3m).  Although the picture looks blue, the flower is actually light purple with subtle blue veins.  The nectar guide is snowy white with blue spots in it.




The pollen color in this form is interesting.  Most of the Peacock flowers have yellow or orange pollen, but the pollen on this flower is bright brick red.  You can't see it in these photos, though, because the anthers are hidden unless you pry open the flower.

The corms of this species have a very distinct growing pattern. Each year, they divide into two or more new corms that grow at an angle to the original one:



The second form (below) is about 2/3 the size of the first one, and is a vivid dark purple.  It's the imperial purple shade that Roman emperors wore (at least that's what I think; I wasn't there in Rome to see them).  The nectar guide is bright yellow, and the pollen is white.

Because of the vividness of the color, this flower is quite a sight when it first opens in the garden.  Too bad it's relatively small.


I think this is the same form, photographed from a different angle:


The third form has color similar to the second one, although bluer and not as vivid. But it has the overall size and shape of the first form.

This plant has orange pollen rather than red:

Finally, there is a very pale version of the third form:


The name "tripetala" means "three-petaled."  Most Moraea flowers have six petals (or "tepals"), three inner ones and three outer ones.  The outer ones are usually bigger and have nectar guides (colored spots) on them.  The inner ones are often smaller, and not as elaborately colored.

For example, in this photo of Moraea tricolor below, the outer tepals are the whitish petals with the yellow spots on them, while the inner tepals are the purple paddle-shaped petals:

In some Moraeas, the inner tepals are relatively small and stick straight up, as in this flower of Moraea neopavonia:

One of the inner tepals is that orange sickle-shaped thing hooking up at the center of the photo.

In Moraea tripetala, the inner tepals are so small that you can barely see them.  In this closeup view, the inner tepals are the tiny fishook-shaped things at the center:



2 comments:

  1. Fabulous collection of Moraea and brilliant work crossing and documenting your results. THanks for blogging this, I enjoyed reading about your adventures. Where I live in Adelaide South Australia Moraea are easy to grow, in fact several species have escaped and become serious weeds! (pretty ones but). I have 4 or 5 species in my collection and you've inspired me to grow that number. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jamus.

    Thanks very much for the nice feedback! I've heard about the non-native bulb problems in Australia, and it's an ongoing mystery to me. The climate there is very similar to California, but we don't have nearly the same problems with invasive bulbs. I can barely get most of the Moraeas to even survive in the ground here, let alone multiply. Something suppresses them -- maybe the soil, bulb predators, the relative dryness of our summer drought, or perhaps a combination.

    Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're having fun with your Moraeas safely.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.