If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Gladiolus MM 11-03

Seed parent: Gladiolus violaceo-lineatus
Pollen parent: Gladiolus MM 00-00a (G. gracilis X G. priorii)

This cross continues my childishly naive pursuit of flower genetics. It's a cross between a pale blue species and a magenta hybrid that resulted from cross between red and blue species. Since the blue and red blended in MM 00-00a, I assumed that would continue to work in follow-on crosses. So these flowers should have been either blue or magenta. Instead...well, see for yourself.

MM 11-03a. This flower was chewed by a snail, which also ate the rest of the buds. But you can see it's a shade of purpley-magenta. That sort of fits my expectation.

MM 11-03b. Wait a minute, white? How the heck does crossing blue and magenta flowers produce white? Oh well, it's an absolutely beautiful little thing. It reminds me of an Alstroemeria.

MM 11-03c. Very tiny, plain, light purple.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.