If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Moraea MM 11-24

Seed parent: Moraea villosa form A (purple tepals, blue eye, orange center)
Pollen parent: Moraea gigandra

Nothing about this flower looks at all like M. gigandra, so I wonder if it might be a selfed version of M. villosa. The bees work over M. villosa pretty thoroughly, so self-pollination is always a potential problem. On the other hand, M. villosa often dominates first generation crosses, so it could be that the gigandra genes are hiding in the background.

The flowers have more prominent veins and a darker eye than the seed parent.

I’ve made several other crosses with these same parents, so I’ll have to wait and see if they all look the same.


MM 11-24a



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.