If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Moraea aristata

This is one of the rarest of Moraeas, known from only the grounds of the Cape Town Royal Observatory. Luckily, it's easy to grow in captivity, and produces offsets vigorously when happy. I have a patch of several hundred corms in front of my house, where they grow at the base of a Japanese Maple in filtered sun.

The flowers are white with a vivid blue and purple eye. Some specimens have flatter tepals than others. I have not figured out whether this is genetic, or due to slight differences in growing conditions.

Here's a form with flat tepals:

This one has recurved tepals:

When the flowers are in bud, you can see that the backs of the tepals are delicately marked in dots and lines.

Here's what it'll look like if you grow a patch of these plants. I started with just a few extra corms that I put in the ground. Ten years later, they've made a very nice clump.

Update from 2023: The photos and text above are from 2013. Ten years later, the clump of M. aristata is still there. In dry winters, only a few of the corms bloom. In good rain years, such as 2022-3, many more of the plants bloom. Here are some photos from spring 2023:






3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I would like to request your permission to use your top Moraea Aristata image as part of an awareness campaign on critically endangered flowers in the Western Cape. The campaign will mainly feature small pieces in several local newspapers and the intention is to inform communities about the critically endangered flowers that can be found, oftentimes exclusively, in their areas.

    Thank you so much for your assistance.

    Have a good night.

    Kind regards,
    Izabela Malan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Izabela.

    Permission granted. If any elements on your campaign appear online, please post a link here -- I would love to see them.

    Good luck!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Mike!

    If you would like to be credited, please email me at bella-on-toast [at] hotmail [dot] com with your full name.

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.