If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Moraea MM 10-23

Seed parent: MM 03-98a (Moraea atropunctata x calcicola, spotted tepals)
Pollen parent: MM 03-98b (Moraea atropunctata x calcicola, plain tepals)

This is my first second-generation (F2) cross of the nicely-spotted MM 03-98. Looking for interesting recessive genes here...

MM 10-23a. To my surprise, the first plant to flower was a throwback to its Moraea calcicola grandparent. I'm happy to have it, though, as I lost the grandparent. It's nice to know that its genes are still around.

MM 10-23b. The second plant to bloom looks like one of its grandparents. So those recessive genes so far are a bust. We'll wait for more offspring to flower.

2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous blooms. What a beautiful plant. Where did you get your bulbs, I would love to try growing this lovely plant. Also, is his bulb a member of the iris family? It seems to share so many characteristics.
    what a great blog. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The Moraeas are distant relatives of Iris, native to Africa. The ones you see here are from South Africa and grow in the winter, going dormant in summer.

      You can learn more about them on the PBS website here: http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Moraea

      Some sources are listed here: http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Sources Companies I've used, and endorse: Telos, Summerfield, Silverhill, Jim Duggan, African Bulbs.

      Delete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.