If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Moraea MM 12-192

Seed parent: Moraea lurida
Pollen parent: Moraea villosa form e

The parents:


MM 12-192a. I'm pretty sure this is just an insect-pollinated Moraea lurida rather than a hybrid. It bloomed at the normal time for M. lurida (later than most other Moraea species), and its markings are in the normal range for the color form of M. lurida that I grow.


I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get hybrids with M. lurida. It's self pollinated very easily by flies (I think that's what happened here), and when I've been careful to exclude flies, the crosses I've made have rarely set any seeds. I have a couple of possible hybrids that haven't yet bloomed, so there's still hope, but as of 2016 they're still at least a couple of years from blooming size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.