If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Calochortus Hybrid

When I first started growing Calochortus, I put a lot of effort into hybridizing them. There's a huge amount of diversity in the genus, so I tried to cross dissimilar species (for example, crossing a globe tulip with a Mariposa). Nothing worked, and eventually I gave up.

Years later, I learned that the different sections of Calochortus are genetically incompatible. So I tried crossing some of the Mariposas with each other, and that finally paid off with two crosses.

Here are the parents of the two crosses that worked:

Calochortus luteus, a form that grows near San Jose, CA and doesn't have an eye spot:

And probably Calochortus superbus. I received this as C. vestae, but the gland shape is wrong. This particular specimen is a beautiful magenta color:


Cross the two, and here's what you get:

MM 11-123. Calochortus luteus X superbus. This one is 11-123a:

11-123b. Looks like C. luteus, but has an eye spot.

11-123c. Kind of a pale peach color.

MM 11-150a. Calochortus superbus X luteus. Looks very similar to 11-123c.


3 comments:

  1. Do these offspring represent F1s or F2s? If F1s, the diversity of flowers surprises me and indicates the parent species are very heterozygous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, Darren! And thanks for asking -- I hadn't thought about it. These are F1 crosses. I am very sure of the background of the C. luteus, because I collected the seeds in the wild, but I wonder about the "C. superbus." It came to me from a very old and experienced Calochortus grower, who was selling bulbs at a plant sale. He had a big container of bulbs listed as C. vestae, and I picked a few at random. Given the gland shape, I assumed it was actually C. superbus, but it could just as easily be a hybrid that snuck into one of his pots or beds. Either that or it's C. superbus from a stand that has variable-colored flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty offspring, wonder what the f2 will look like if they are fertile. Ernie

    ReplyDelete

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.