If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Moraea tulbaghensis

This species officially includes a fairly diverse selection of orange flowers with contrasting central eyes. For the purposes of gardening, I've continued to use the names of two former species that were merged into M. tulbaghensis. The original M. tulbaghensis, which I describe here, has cup-shaped flowers with eyes that are usually green, but sometimes blue or slate. From a distance, the flowers look like little orange teacups, the size of thimbles, perched at the tip of the stem.

The former Moraea neopavonia (now officially part of M. tulbaghensis) has much larger wide open flowers and blue or black eyes. Now it's referred to as the "large form" of M. tulbaghensis, but I grow it separately because it looks so different and is a bit easier for me to grow than its cousin (in my garden, it seems to tolerate more sun).

These plants are native to bulb zone D3 (link). Think Fowlers Bay, Australia; Mendocino, CA; or Izmir, Turkey.

Here's the green-eyed form of M. tulbaghensis. I guess you call that green; it's kind of hard to judge. These things are very hard to photograph because the flower never fully opens. The second photo shows a lighter orange flower that definitely has a green eye.


Here's a blue-eyed form:

This is the slate-eyed form. Or maybe it's very dark green. I thought it was gray when I took the photo.

The eye in this one is very unusual. I guess you'd have to call it chartreuse.

M. tulbaghensis form a. Very dark eye, colored bluish. Sparse dots in the cup.

M. tulbaghensis form b. Lighter orange, very bright green eye.

M. tulbaghensis form c. Yellow-orange, greenish eye, veins on the tepals.

M. tulbaghensis form d. Dark slate blue eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.