If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Moraea MM 14-94

Seed parent: Moraea atropunctata

Pollen parent: MM 11-35a  ((atropunctata x neopavonia) x villosa c) X (atropunctata x neopavonia)












This is funny. When I made the cross I was wondering how the warm purple color of the pollen parent would combine with the spots of Moraea atropunctata. To my surprise, the flowers came out almost very different. They're handsome and look suspiciously like the seed parent at first glance. However, the purple spots on the backs of the flowers are not atropunctata, and there's enough other variation that I'm pretty sure they're hybrids.

MM 14-94a. This flower looks very, very much like pure M. atropunctata. But the flowers are larger and taller than is typical for the species, and the tepal blacks have blue spots instead of brown, so I'm pretty sure it's a hybrid (and a nice vigorous one).



MM 14-94b

MM 14-94c

MM 14-94d

MM 14-94e. No way this is the species.


MM 14-94f. I like the pale orange color of this one, although how I got that from a cross between a white and purple flower, who knows...

The flower below is in the process of wilting. You can see the dots on the backs of the tepals, and the orange color has mostly faded to white.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.