If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Moraea MM 12-70

Seed parent: Moraea neopavonia plain (no blue markings)
Pollen parent: Moraea atropunctata

The parents:


MM 12-70a. I've been trying to reproduce the cross that led to Moraea MM 99-00, my first Moraea hybrid. The tag for that one broke, but from the fragment that remains I think the cross was neopavonia X atropunctata. And the verdict is...maybe. The markings look similar to MM 99-00, but the tepals are much broader. I'll have to do more experiments.

For comparison, here's MM 99-00a. The color is different and the tepals are narrower. But the photo above was taken in twilight, which can affect colors in a photo, and the flower was not fully open when I photographed it. The center markings do look similar. Next year I need to get a photo of the hybrid in full sun, fully open..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.