If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Moraea MM 11-44

Seed parent: MM 03-98b (atropunctata X calcicola)
Pollen parent: Moraea tulbaghensis (green eye)

The parents:

I was hoping for something spectacular here, but the flowers came out looking like paler versions of M. tulbaghensis (although with blue eyes). I like it that the tepals in the third flower are reflexed (bent back) instead of cupped, the usual shape of tulbaghensis hybrids. These plants were grown by Garry Knipe from seed I bred.

Garry has a great eye for color, and he asked me an interesting question: Are these flowers yellow or orange? The more I think about it, the less sure I am. Please post a comment if you have an opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.