If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Gladiolus MM 11-03

Seed parent: Gladiolus violaceo-lineatus
Pollen parent: Gladiolus MM 00-00a (Gladiolus gracilis v. gracilis X priorii)

This is a pale blue species crossed with a magenta hybrid that was the offspring of red and pale blue parents. Since red and blue combined to make magenta, I figured crossing that with another blue would produce a mix of magenta and blue flowers.

So much for the theory. One cross was snacked on by a snail, so all I know is that it's purple with yellow in the throat:

 MM 11-03a. It might be pretty if I ever get to see the whole flower.


Another cross was very undersized and an uninteresting mauvey-purple color:
MM 11-03c


But then there's this one, which is basically white with prominent magenta lines in the lower tepals. I don't know where the white came from; clearly my knowledge of genetics is incomplete.  But the flower is beautiful:
MM 11-03b


Compare these to Gladiolus MM 11-22, a similar cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.