If you're new to this blog, you can start with the introduction here.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Moraea MM 10-38

Seed parent: M. aristata
Pollen parent: Moraea MM 99-00

This was an attempt to re-create the cross that led to MM 03-05a, a flower that looks much like M. aristata but has a pale yellow background. I like that flower a lot, but it appears to be completely infertile. I was hoping for a fertile version of that flower.

The result was half-successful. These flowers have a pale yellow coloration to them (too pale), and they do appear to be at least somewhat fertile. Unfortunately, they don’t have the big blue and purple eye that makes MM 03-05a so special.

MM 10-38A has a very pale yellow color in the outer tepals, fading to white in the sun. The inner tepals and center are stronger yellow.

MM 10-38B is similar to A, but the eye is not as well formed.


MM 10-38C and MM 10-38D both look a lot like pure M. aristata. I wonder if maybe I got some aristata pollen onto this flower by accident...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spam, I am now requiring moderation for comments on most posts. I apologize if your comment does not appear immediately; I will approve it as soon as I can.